Browse by category
Environmental and Social Policy
At Channel View Publications Ltd / Multilingual Matters we actively seek to reduce our impact on the environment and to promote sustainable ways of doing business. We believe it is vital that businesses integrate environmental and social concerns into their day-to-day operations. We always try to take environmental and social considerations into account when making company decisions. We seek to play a positive role within the communities with which we work, both on a local level, and in the wider academic community. We work closely with our suppliers and contractors to encourage a responsible attitude to the environment. We continue to review our environmental and social policy and to take advice from relevant organisations, government bodies and individuals.
The measures we have taken so far:
- Our office is located in Bristol’s Greenest Office building in the city centre. It uses solar power to heat the building and rainwater to flush the toilets and irrigate the green roof. Recycled materials, such as old tyres for flooring, are used throughout the building as well as sensor and low energy lighting.
- Our books are made from paper that is natural, renewable and recyclable, made from wood grown in sustainable forests. All our printers have FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification) Chain of Custody certification. The FSC and/or PEFC logos appear in those books where full certification has been granted to the printer concerned. All our publicity materials are printed on recycled paper from sustainable sources.
- All of our print suppliers are ISO 14001-accredited – an environmental management system for businesses that prescribes controls for activities including the use of natural resources and the handling and treatment of waste and energy consumption.
- We have stopped producing plastic carrier bags for use at conferences and are researching suitable sustainable alternatives.
- We actively encourage staff to use sustainable forms of transport, usually trains, when travelling for work. Additional time and money is allocated to make this possible.
- Our central office location in Bristol allows 80% of our staff to travel to work on foot or by bike.
- We have established two awards (the MM-AILA Library Award and MM-AILA Solidarity Award) with AILA (the International Association of Applied Linguistics). These awards aim to help scholars from geographical areas which are not currently well represented in the field of applied linguistics. We believe that by working with AILA we can not only increase the ability of these scholars to engage with the international scholarly community, but also increase and improve the international scholarly community’s access to information, understanding and research findings.
- We also have links with several universities and support promising postgraduate students by awarding prizes for the best postgraduate student or project each year.
- We publish the majority of our books in both hardback and paperback editions and try to keep our prices as low as possible so that our books are affordable to everyone wherever they are.
- We make sure all our staff, including interns and temporary staff, are paid a living wage.
We are happy to discuss our environmental and social policy. If you have any comments, queries or suggestions please contact us: email@example.com.